ftp and dired

From: henry atting
Subject: ftp and dired
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:44:42 +0100

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to display a remote directory via ftp in
dired-mode (or in eshell)
Some time ago I got it working with bbdb (simply typing `F' over a ftp
entry and I was done). Now a new window opens and I get a simply command
line prompt:

,----
| 230-
| 230-  Please note that this server is located in Germany, Europe.
| 230-  Most packages available are copied from other, mostly US, servers.
| 230-
| 230 Login successful.
| Remote system type is UNIX.
| Using binary mode to transfer files.
| ftp>
`----

Same thing if I do an `cd /anonymous@ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/' in an
eshell.
I hope there will be another solution than tramp. Some time ago I spent
to much time to get it work with ido and icicles. Now, facing the same
problems again, I won't do it anymore.

henry