build a macro that opens a directory and prompts for file name

From: Norm
Subject: build a macro that opens a directory and prompts for file name
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:13:03 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I have been googleing and reading the docs trying to figure out a
solution to this. I spend the majority of my time working in a single
directory on a CIFS server and I am always doing a C-x C-f \\server\dir
\long_sub_dir\subdir\filename

In the spirit of emacs I'd like to automate it so that when I do C-co
it knows the directory and simply prompts me for the file to be opened
or if I leave it blank and press RET it lists the directory.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this.

Many thanks,

Norm