Re: emacs 23.0.60

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Re: emacs 23.0.60
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:18:58 -0600

ramestica@gmail.com writes:
> On Jan 25, 6:41 pm, Michael Ekstrand <mich...@elehack.net> wrote:
>> ramest...@gmail.com writes:
>> > I cannot find a way for downloading emacs's source code for the
>> > snapshot that was called 23.0.60. I thought that '23.0.60' would be
>> > cvs tag but it did not work. I'm not sure that 'snapshot' is even the
>> > correct word in this context.
>>
>> > I do not want to try the very head of cvs; after googling for a while
>> > I decided that 23.0.60 should be good enough for me at this moment.
>>
>> 23.0.60 is the CVS head.
>>
>> And, in general, if you want to run CVS, I'd recommend running HEAD or a
>> regularly-updated snapshot (I use the emacs-snapshot packages for
>> Debian; they're usually updated weekly, and I have found that they work
>> pretty well).  Any given snapshot is liable to have bugs which are fixed
>> later.  If HEAD is broken badly, it's usually fixed quickly (in my
>> experience, within the day); if you have a snapshot from a bad time,
>> then it won't be fixed until the next snapshot.
>>
>> - Michael
>>
>> --
>> mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
>
> I see. I try the head then. It is strange not to be able to refer to a
> certain and consistent status (as far as it was known to be consistent
> at that moment) sof the cvs tree.

When the move from CVS to bzr is complete, then it will be possible to
refer to a single Emacs state by bzr commit ID.  But yes, in CVS there
is, apart from tags, no concept of a single state of the source tree.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.