Re: tooltip-show with a timer

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: tooltip-show with a timer
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:42:41 -0600

If you don't know, you can then cancel the timer with

M-x cancel-function-timers <RET> moving-tooltip <RET>

Erik Iverson wrote:
Hello all,

Could someone help me understand what is going on here?

Define a function called moving-tooltip, which simply shows a tooltip that says "hi".

(defun moving-tooltip ()
 (tooltip-show "hi"))

Then, hook the new function up to a timer that runs every two seconds.

(run-with-timer 1 2 'moving-tooltip)

Let the mouse come to rest, and you'll see the tooltip. Don't move the mouse, and the next time the tooltip timer is called, the tooltip gets moved (specifically, to the upper-left corner of my screen).

Any ideas as to what is happening here?

I'd love it if the tooltip just stayed where it was if the mouse didn't move.

Thanks,
Erik