Re: How to keep character encoding in text file...

From: Marko Myllymaki
Subject: Re: How to keep character encoding in text file...
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:39:56 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
So... if I load UTF-8 encoded file, emacs always saves it that way. If I open latin1-encoded file, it should keep it in the original encoding.

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work, if you don't let any
non-Latin-1 characters creep in.

Okay, that might be the problem... because my system defaults to UTF-8, I guess that there is some keyboard input encoding in emacs which uses UTF-8.

Therefore if I enter "baz" in latin1 buffer, everything is okay, but "foobar åäö" has some UTF-8 and it then forces buffer encoding to UTF-8...

Maybe I could change input encoding depending on file encoding... hmm ;)

Or maybe I try to figure out how to make menu items which force buffer encoding and write the file.