Re: Tools for C Programming

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tools for C Programming
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 12:10:54 +0200

> Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 16:25:32 +0800
> From: "Chengqi(Lars) Song" <songcq@gmail.com>
>
> 1. The folder structure is like:
>    abc-+-
>        |--MakeFile
>        |--src-+-
>               |--main.c
>    after I use C-x C-f to open main.c, how to 'make' when the MakeFile is in
> the parent folder?

"M-x compile RET cd .. && make RET"

> 2. How to display function list?

"M-x list-tags RET RET"
"M-x tags-apropos RET regexp RET"

But you need to create the TAGS file first, see the node "Create Tags
Table" in the Emacs manual.

> 3. How to auto-complete identifier names, struct memebers, and hints for
> function parameters?

I generally use M-/.  For the last feature, you will have to install
ECB, I think, which is not part of Emacs, and is quite heavy.  I
generally manage without that feature, and use the one below instead.

> 4. How to jump to definition?

"M-." (after creating TAGS, as explained above).