Re: Daemon and client: Only open new frame if there isn't one already?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Daemon and client: Only open new frame if there isn't one already?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:35:26 +0100

Am 13.03.2009 um 23:11 schrieb thierry.volpiatto:

So if you launch the first emacs with emacs -Q (without server-start)
and then from it, emacsclient -c -a "", it should start a second emacs
process (emacs --daemon) with an emacsclient linked to it.
(not tested)

I won't do it this way, Thierry. Since I usually have more than one Emacs running at the same time I tend to control server business tightly.

Anyway, I hope this strange behaviour in daemon mode will be corrected before GNU Emacs 23.1 is released. It's outside one's imagination that an X client will open inside some terminal emulation ... OTOH: a second X11 in my Terminal – I should go ahead and patent this before some MS guy does!

--
Greetings

  Pete

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.