Re: Boldifing all faces?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Boldifing all faces?
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:28:32 -0600

Elena wrote:
On 26 Mar, 17:08, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
can you boldify (make bold) all faces, without having to customize
each one?
I've found out that setting the default font as bold works with some
fonts (e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono), it doesn't with others (e.g. Lucida
Console). Therefore I'll have to restrict my choices within fonts
which work.
That's what I was trying to suggest in my reply to your initial post: It's not a
problem of MS Windows vs GNU/Linux, but a problem of fonts that don't have a
bold version (support for bold).

Well, within the font dialog I do see a bold variant for Lucida
Console. It doesn't show for every font, therefore I thought it was
meaningful. It I choose it, some faces will be bold, some not. BTW,
the font dialog doesn't show all the True Type fonts I have on the
system, whilst they work if passed to set-default-font; some fonts are
shown yet they don't work; therefore I think font support in GNU Emacs
Win32 is not full.

Well, at least on Windows we have a font dialog, whilst on Linux I had
to investigate what fonts were available using other tools, then
passing their string-ized specification to set-default-font. Not
funny.

Thank you all for your kind replies

To see more fonts add this to (custom-set-variables

 '(w32-list-proportional-fonts t)

Ed