Is JDEE moribund? Is Emacs a viable Java devel environment?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Is JDEE moribund? Is Emacs a viable Java devel environment?
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 23:03:12 -0700 (PDT)

I recently started doing some Java work again for the first time in
several years, and I looked around to see the state of Java
development using Emacs.  The first Google hit for "emacs java" was a
package called JDEE, which seemed like just what I wanted, and I found
a lot of positive comments on it.  I ran into a snag while trying to
install it, though, so I subscribed to the jdee-users mailing list and
posted about my problem.  After a few days without an answer, I mailed
the package maintainer directly.  It's been two weeks now, and I
haven't gotten any response, nor have I seen any traffic at all on the
jdee-users list.  Does anyone still use it anymore?  If not, what
other options for Java development on Emacs are there?

Lately I've been using Eclipse and Emacs in tandem, editing in Emacs
and using Eclipse for everything else.  It's a good enough arrangement
to get by, but I'd sure love it if Emacs could shoulder more of the
work.