Re: simple function to prepend a string to a file --> SOLUTION

From: harven
Subject: Re: simple function to prepend a string to a file --> SOLUTION
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:49:29 +0200

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> (defun utf-decl-prepend ()
>   "Prepend to current buffer UTF declaration within comment."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (let ((start (point)))
>       (insert "-*- coding: utf-8; -*-")
>       (comment-region start (point)))))

(point-min) goes to the beginning of the accessible part of the
buffer, if the buffer is narrowed. I think it's better to really go at
the start of the buffer. This is a minor point though. Here is another
version, which is a bit shorter.

(defun utf-decl-prepend ()
   "Prepend to current buffer UTF declaration within comment."
   (interactive)
   (save-excursion
     (goto-char 1)
     (insert "-*- coding: utf-8; -*-")
     (comment-region 1 (point))
     (newline)))

The final newline is not needed in lisp mode or tex mode, where a
single delimiter is used for commenting. It is needed in c-mode or
html-mode however. I don't understand why. In these languages, a closing tag
ends the comment region, this may be the reason.