emacs 23.0.92 - problem writing document with non-standard characters.

From: rabbitko
Subject: emacs 23.0.92 - problem writing document with non-standard characters.
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:53:40 +0200

Hallo Group Members
I copied&pasted some part of document from web page into emacs buffer,
then when tried to save it I get error message:
Saving file /tmp/document.txt...
apply: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil

THe problem is probably with character coding. I remember that emacs 22
did that better: it just jumped to character which was suspicious and
suggested choosing another character encoding for this document.

Literally, I wanted to copy part:

(Zmywarka "eko" lub "bio"

from:
http://gospodarka.gazeta.pl/gospodarka/1,33181,6054598,Czy_moge_pania_zoffsetowac_.html?as=2&ias=3&startsz=x