Re: How debug font lock mode settings and/or view existing font lock mod

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: How debug font lock mode settings and/or view existing font lock mode settings?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:39:01 +0200

Hi!

> I created my own minor mode that highlights characters beyond column
> 78.
> It works most of the time but sometimes fails like in java mode.
>
> Is it possible to dump the font lock mode settings in a separate
> buffer when it doesn't work to see what is going on?

Well, that should be easy, you either do

  M-: font-lock-defaults<RET>

or just put the string "font-lock-defaults" in your java code (most
probably in a comment) and evaluate it there - C-x C-e to see the
result in the echo area and in the *Messages* buffer, C-u C-x C-e to
dump it right into the current buffer.

You could also write a function that writes the settings into some
other buffer,

  (defun debug-font-lock ()
    (let ((copy-of-font-lock-defaults font-lock-defaults))
      (save-excursion
        (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "*debug-font-lock*"))
        (goto-char (point-max))
        (insert (format "%s" copy-of-font-lock-defaults)))))

and then call

  M-: (debug-font-lock)

when you're in your java buffer. There might be more elegant ways to
do this. 8-)

HTH, kind regards,

Anselm

--