Notification of new email at gmail?

From: Robert L Knighten
Subject: Notification of new email at gmail?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:09:24 -0700

I am now using emacs to dirctly send and receive email using gmail as
the mail server.  This works well except that new mail notification on
the mode line no longer works as the mail doesn't appear in any file on
the computer until VM is invoked.  Is there any application available
that can provide the notification function on the mode line?  I've found
independent applications that will popup a notification on my desktop,
but I would much prefer to keep it in the emacs mode line.

-- Bob