Re: ipa and ispell

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: ipa and ispell
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:56:21 +0200

> While inserting an annotation, I used ispell to check a word, it worked
> several times (I think) and then subsequently, the debugger was entered
> after ispell's correct spelling message:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Attempt to split minibuffer window")
>   split-window(nil 2)
[...]

We have to fix that eventually, maybe using a new function to pop up a
window below all "normal" windows just above the minibuffer-window, or
by popping up a new frame, or by temporarily replacing the contents of
the minibuffer-window or some other window.

In the first case we just have to make sure that (1) we can split some
window and (2) when the window used to display ispell's choices is no
more needed, the configuration before the split is orderly restored.
Both issues are not entirely trivial.

Replacing the contents of some existing window is problematic since
valuable context information might get obscured.  Also, it's not clear
whether and how that window shall be resized.  Popping up a new frame
runs counter classic ispell design choices but appears the only simple
solution.

So please make a bug report.

Thanks, martin.