Re: how to activate region

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: how to activate region
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:46:16 -0400

In article <mailman.7100.1242253215.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> When transient-mark-mode is off, there must be a way to activate the
> existing region for commands that require it to be active.  Anybody
> know what it is?  The manual and apropos have yielded nothing so far.

I just noticed that you said "when transient-mark-mode is off".  That
changes my answer.

When transient-mark-mode is off, the commands that require the region
should always succeed as long as you've set the mark.  Are you talking
about commands that change their behavior depending on whether the
region is active?  Like M-x replace-string, which operates on the region
if it's active, or the rest of the buffer otherwise.  That's the point
of this feature of C-x C-x:

With prefix arg, `transient-mark-mode' is enabled temporarily.

So type C-u C-x C-x, then M-x replace-string, and it should do what you
want.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA