Re: byte-compile making erroneous *Compile Log*

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: byte-compile making erroneous *Compile Log*
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 13:40:06 +0200

> I just downloaded emacs-snapshot for Emacs 23 and the problem still exists.
> Rather than try to figure out what was causing it, I have implemented a simple
> program that goes into the *Compile-Log* buffer and fixes the problem by
> inserting the missing newlines before the file name.  I had not realized it
> initially, but some of the "In <defun-name>" log entries do appear correctly
on
> their own lines.

So IMHO the only possible culprit is the call to `fill-region' in
`display-warning' which goes as:

          (when (and warning-fill-prefix (not (string-match "\n" message)))
            (let ((fill-prefix warning-fill-prefix)
                  (fill-column 78))
              (fill-region start (point))))

Please try to edebug `fill-region' (with the *Compile-Log* buffer
displayed in some window to see what's going on).  I suppose one of
your .emacs settings wrt to filling cause the behavior you observe.

martin