Re: utf8 char display in buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: utf8 char display in buffer
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 23:30:24 -0400

> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:54:23 -0400
> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
> 1) In a buffer which is already utf-8 encoded, I set the appropriate
> input method, type in the desired characters. They display just peachy
> and there is happiness in EmacsLand.
>
> 2) I save the buffer to a file, then close the buffer.
>
> 3) I visit the same file (i.e., load it again into emacs). Because it
> has &lt;!-- -*- coding: utf-8; -*- --&gt; as the first line, it opens
> utf-8 encoded. This is confirmed by the presence of a 'u' as the second
> character in the status bar.
>
> 4) The text in the buffer displays fine, except that in place of each of
> those non-English characters is a little empty box. With the cursor on
> one of those boxes, an 'a' with a horizontal bar above it, doing "C-x
> =", emacs returns "Char: ā (01210041, 331809, 0x51021, file ...)".

Please post here the full output of "C-u C-x =" (from a buffer popped
up by Emacs) for these characters, both when you type them using the
appropriate input method and they are displayed correctly (as in 1)
above), and when you see them as empty boxes after revisiting the
file.  The differences between these two cases should give you a hint
what is wrong; if not, someone else here might have ideas.