Re: emacs 23 & Debian

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: emacs 23 & Debian
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 19:04:31 +0200

    Ben> 1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?

    Ben> I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point,
    Ben> although am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid
    Ben> saying cvs or git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the
    Ben> weekend who may better explain that voodoo to me

Packages for Debian can be found at

   http://emacs.orebokech.com/

Works for me for I don't know how long...

    Ben> 2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?

    Ben> Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It
    Ben> couldn't sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code
    Ben> to attempt correcting it posted as well.

    Ben> 3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?

    Ben> Hope not on this end.

There is a Debian Emacs policy which solves the problem for Debian to provide
different flavors of emacsen without duplicating a lot of lisp files but makes
a lot of people---including Emacs developers---angry who feel that the solution
is inadequate. Feel free to read up on this topic ;-)

By the way, emacs 23 isn't released. So you can't really blame Debian for
shipping a released version.

Toto

--
"No amount of googling and copying and pasting can replace the intellectual
flexibility developed by reading whole books."  Alan Gibbons (The Observer,