Re: emacs 23 & Debian

From: Benjamin Badgley
Subject: Re: emacs 23 & Debian
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:38:55 -0400

I'll paraphrase a bit.

Nurullah Akkaya:

Have the following:

build-essential
xorg-dev
libgtk2.0-dev
libjpg-dev
libgif-dev
libtiff-dev

Got all the things I need to have.

Richard Riley:

I have been through this.

The bottom line for me was to dump debian emacs and follow the simple
enough instructions available from Google to get from cvs and
compile. It really is not that difficult.

Both: 1. Dump the Debian Emacs. 2. Do the cvs thing, ./configure, make, make
install.  "It's easy. :-)"

Alrighty then, ... :-)

I may wind up doing just that over the weekend. Looked up cvs on google just a
few moments ago. Presently, on my mother's Windows Vista system. Don't tell
her, I'm gradually converting it into a semi-*nix system.

Found something called Pharmacy for Gnome, which rocks because I use Gnome
as default WM on Debian. Although Xfce may soon replace it. And there is
even a Windows cvs client. Looks to be a snap to do given a broad scale
of comparrison.

--
Benjamin Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com>