Re: emacs 23 & Debian

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs 23 & Debian
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:07:56 +0200

Am 26.06.2009 um 03:37 schrieb Giorgos Keramidas:

While you are at it, it may also be useful to list dependencies
like `libm17n-dev' for multilingual text support, `libpng12-dev'
and `librsvg2-dev' for more image formats, and `libotf-dev' for
OpenType font support.

Do these dev packages also contain the shared libraries? There is one other package for multilingual text support checked for by the configure script: m17n-flt. I have to admit that I don't know anything of it… (although I'd like to fetch one soon day the source, compile, and install it on my Mac)

Nurullah's list is not really complete (the JPEG, GIF, TIFF dev packages should be standard). GTK is the default choice now, but it's also possible to use Xaw3d. Among the non-X11 graphics packages not named yet is Xpm. To work in a terminal emulation ncurses are needed. To use fonts libfontconfig and libfreetype are needed. For desktop integration libdbus can be used. And to be able to convert between the many encodings GNU Emacs supports libintl and libiconv are used. In a modern X11 installation Pango gets used, and also Glitz and Cairo and Pixman. Have I mentioned libexpat?

Running configure will reveal what all gets checked. And you can also check which shared libraries GNU Emacs uses…

--
Greetings

  Pete

Encryption, n.: A powerful algorithmic encoding technique
                employed in the creation of computer manuals.