Re: Asynchronous Process Handling

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Asynchronous Process Handling
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:48:30 +0200

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to call a process asynchronously from with emacs and
> later get back an async message or notification when the process has
> finished possibly along with its return value and or output?

Yes.    You can do it with processes and process filters.  I let you
read the documentation about them.

Here is another solution, which has the advantage for long processes,
to work even if you relaunch emacs.

Put:

    (defun process-my-result (result)
       (switch-to-buffer "*result*")
       (insert (format "%S" result)))

    (server-start)

in ~/.emacs

and launch the process as:

    (shell-command "( sleep 10 ; result=42 ; emacsclient --eval
\"(process-my-result $result)\" ) & disown &"
                   nil nil)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__