Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions

From: Marc Tfardy
Subject: Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:55:09 +0200

Tim Visher schrieb:
> Hi Marc,
>

> Before I answer any of your specific questions, I would highly
> recommend that you just use MacPorts build of Emacs rather than going
> with Aquamacs.  I believe Aquamacs is a little bit more tuned/modified
> for OS X rather than a standard Emacs experience and given the ease of
> installing Emacs using MacPorts, there's really no reason to use it
> anymore.
>
> See http://www.macports.org/ for more info.

Never heard about MacPort, thanks for this hint!

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Marc Tfardy<bum@cyk.cyk> wrote:
>> I plan to switch from windows to intel mac and Aquamacs and I don't want
>> use windows under mac - neither in virtual machine nor as dual boot.
>> Emacs is one of my main application so it is very important for me that
>> all things are working as usual. Here my questions:
>>
>>  - can I switch off menubar, toolbar and scrollbar?
>
> You can do all of this using the standard methods from within your
> .emacs file.  However, there's actually no reason to turn off the
> menubar on OS X, as you save no space by doing it.  OS X has a built
> in location for all menubars that remains there throughout the entire
> OS.

Yes, it's true. I've forgot this.

>>  - can I suppress all popup dialogs?
>
> I'm not sure which popup dialogs you're referring to here.

I've assumed that Aquamacs is very strong dialog driven because of Mac
feeling.

> However, I can assure you that I've never seen a pop-up dialog while
> working with Emacs on OS X.

This is great!

>>  - can I switch off tabs?
>
> Again, not sure exactly what you're referring to.  I have never seen
> tabs in the MacPorts built version of Emacs.

From http://aquamacs.org/features.shtml:

  "Aquamacs Emacs can organize the files that you're editing in tabs.
  This preserves screen space but allows you to keep track of all those
  open files easily. You've probably seen the tabs in Safari, Firefox or
  the OS X Terminal program."

See also http://aquamacs.org/images/aquamacs-screenshot.png too.
Aquamacs tabs are similar to firefox tabs.

>>  - working all this nice extension elisp packages from internet without
>>    any kind of adaptations?
>
> I haven't had to modify any of the elisp packages I have installed.

>>  - what GNU Emacs features do not working in Aquamacs? In "Appendix
>>    F - Emacs and Mac OS" is written:
>>
>>    "Emacs built on Mac OS X supports [...]"
>>
>>     Is it still true for Aquamacs?
>
> I haven't noticed anything.
>
>>  - on which inconvenience and discomforts do I have to count? What is
>>    different to GNU Emacs?
>
> I haven't noticed anything, really.

Thanks for all responses at this point! My hope is back - the way to
switch to Mac is again open.

regards
Marc