Re: git mode for emacs

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: git mode for emacs
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:14:11 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can anyone give some tips on which git mode works for emacs?
>> I tried git.el but it seems to be broken -- my report at
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/122295
>>
>> Im looking at dvc but its really obese and does not even have an entry
>> on how to configure to use the git backend!!

I too found DVC hard to use but that was a while back.

> There is nothing to do in DVC to configure git backend.
> To configure DVC you can have a look at my init file here:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/dvc-init.el
>
> The support for git is actually really good in DVC.
>
> NOTE : The manual is completely deprecated,
> so you have better look at docstrings of functions or ask here or better
> on the DVC mailing list.
>
> Hope it help ;-)
>
>> ------------------------
>> Well...
>> I typed this and then tried google and got Richard's pages on git
>> +emacs. [Thanks Richard]
>> I tried magit and its broken under windows as is git.el
>> Right now I'm on linux and egg seems to be good.
>>
>> Anyone with experience of egg on windows?

I started to write a tutorial for using DVC with emacs and
git. Unfortunately I found DVC non too intuitive compared to, say,
magit. Possibly it has come on since.

http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/git/dvc-tutorial/index

Possibly it will help.

My original favorite was egg, as it is very comprehensive if a bit
colorful.

http://github.com/bogolisk/egg/tree/master

I now use magit:

http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/