Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions

From: Marc Tfardy
Subject: Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:57:58 +0200

Xah Lee schrieb:

> The tabs in Aquamac Emacs is based on the tabbar.el module.
>
> tabs in emacs is quite different from tabs in firefox or any modern
> app's tabs.
>
> The bottom reason for this is that emacs doesn't do tabs, instead, it
> has buffers. You can have many windows (what emacs calls frames), and
> each window can access any buffer. However, tabs in modern apps does
> not work like that. In modern apps,

Very thanks for teaching about tabs, windows-frame terms and what modern
apps are but first, this was not topic and seconds I'm familiar with
this things.

> in practice, this means when you use tabs in emacs, it's quite
> different. Tabs in emacs is merely just a prettified GUI for accessing
> buffers.
> See this page on emacswiki:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TabBarMode
>
> [very long dissertation about tabs]

Again - do you not think, that when one ask for possibility of switching
off tabs, he is not interested how good tabs are in emacs, how different
in comparison to other apps they are implemented and so on. I ask for
switch off because I don't like tabs.

regards
Marc