Re: problems displaying german "umlaute"

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: Re: problems displaying german "umlaute"
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 21:23:34 +0200

TomSW schrieb:
On Jul 3, 8:07 pm, Rainer Stengele <rainer.steng...@online.de> wrote:

I am using textfiles (actually org-mode text) both on windows emacs 23
(emacsw32-20090226) and under different linux variants (kubuntu,
sidux) some running emacs 22 and some emacs 23.
The problem is that the "umlauts" shown in the windows emacs without
problems are shown as code under linux.

It looks as if you are opening utf-8 files as ascii or some other
unsuitable encoding. Try opening them as utf-8. For example, open the
file, then use the command M-x revert-buffer-with-coding-system to
reload the file with a different encoding. Specify the coding system
as "utf-8-unix". Does this fix the problem?

yes!

If it does, the second question is why Emacs isn't using the correct
encoding to start with. Load the file again, and check the value of
the variables enable-multibyte-characters and default-enable-multibyte-
characters. They should both be t - are they?

enable-multibyte-characters is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is t
Local in buffer *Help*; global value is t

default-enable-multibyte-characters is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is t

So yes they are both "t". Now how can I set the right config option?
Strange thing is that another file I do load (another orgmode file) always comes up correctly.

thanx and regards,
Rainer

regards,
Tom SW