Re: bind a hotkey to toggle variable

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: bind a hotkey to toggle variable
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:10:48 +0900

> Frankly, I'm always surprised that, 20-30 years after the introduction of
> graphic displays and window managers, most people still use Emacs windows, not
> frames, for most buffers.

Doesn't seem particular surprising -- Emacs windows are generally much
easier to manipulate and behave better than frames controlled by the
system's window manager, especially for short-lived windows (and this is
despite many well-known shortcomings in Emacs window manipulation, e.g.,
those which ECB tries to hack around).

If you look at many other modern apps, they do exactly the same thing,
though they may not use the term "window" for their internal windows
(maybe they call them "panels" or "widgets' or whatever) and may not
allow as much user manipulation as Emacs does.  Still, the division in
to large relatively static system-controlled windows (emacs frames) and
small more dynamic app-controlled windows within them seems like a
pretty well established practice.

-Miles

--
Cabbage, n. A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a
man's head.