Re: Suggestion of using emacs with git

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: Suggestion of using emacs with git
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:35:43 +1000

n179911 <n179911@gmail.com> writes:

> Can anyone please give me suggestion of how to configure emacs to use with
> git?
> i read this:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Git
>
> but i am not sure which tool to pick from:
> Magit,
> egg,
> egit
> etc, etc.
>
> I am a newbie in git, i am looking for some easy front end in emacs to use
> git.

Sadly, the complexity of git is only a little mitigated by the front-ends; you
will still face the learning curve of understanding how the parts relate.

> And i am looking for some color output in emacs git mode to help me use git
> (as compare to just xterm).

I have tried all the front-ends; at this stage I use Emacs 23, which have some
git support in the built-in VC backend, as well as magit.  If found the later
to be the ... least bothersome front-end.

Previously I used the git.el front-end shipped with git, plus gitsum, almost
exclusively, which I found to be reasonable effective but occasionally got in
my way.

The other tools I tried were more annoying or less featured than those two
options; for example, the fork of magit, egg, had a hideous selection of font
faces by default[1] and was generally harder to navigate for me.

As I say, though, none of those tools except /perhaps/ the VC backend really
insulate you from understanding git itself.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  IIRC, I got some ~ 40 pixel fonts and some ~ 5 pixel fonts, together with
     dark colours on my dark background, making it painful.

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707