Re: [BUG?] emacs-23.1 OSX emacsclient always opens a new frame

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: [BUG?] emacs-23.1 OSX emacsclient always opens a new frame
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:10:36 +0200

Am 17.08.2009 um 12:54 schrieb Mark Evenson:

Five minutes of glancing through 'emacsclient.c' wasn't particularly helpful.

Indeed! The NS code addition also provide support for DnD (Drag&Drop), in which a new frame is created. Emacsclient accepts the -c option by which the server is advised to create a new frame, and - nw to open the window here in this terminal emulation.

Are you making your tests without any customisation? (/Applications/ Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/Emacs -Q &) Could be this customisation causes the behaviour you see... (My self-compiled Emacs.app, Tiger PPC, does *not* create a new frame when I invoke emacsclient, but I prefer to work with at least one frame. All the time.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

Theory and practice are the same, in theory, but, in practice, they are different.