Re: CPerl and Perl 5.10.x

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: CPerl and Perl 5.10.x
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:10:05 -0500

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 08:31:37 +0000 (UTC) Ilya Zakharevich
<nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> wrote:

IZ> On 2009-08-28, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
IZ> The only working version (mine) is under RCS, not CVS.

>> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:02:53 -0500 Will Willis <will.willis@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

WW> http://blog.jrock.us/articles/cperl-mode.el%20and%20Moose.pod
WW> This version supports Moose and 5.10
>>
>> Sorry if I'm being dense: is the Emacs cperl-mode.el out of sync with
>> Ilya's version?

IZ> It is "different", and majorly buggy.

So why not update it with your version?  Again, sorry if I am missing
the necessary context, but it seems like a good idea.

>> Are Jonathan Rockway's patches being considered?

IZ> There is a certain logistical problem; maybe somebody can help me?
IZ> The way it is done now, one has essentially one set of highlight
IZ> rules.  So either highlight of pre-5.10 is wrong, or of 5.10 is wrong.

IZ> Given that (AFAIK) 5.10 is now too buggy to be usable, I hesitate to
IZ> make the change for 5.10-highlight.  If there a way to make "flavors"
IZ> of highlights (as in "minor mode" over "major mode") conveniently -
IZ> and without a non-necessary slow-down?

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but I'm in favor of using the 5.10
highlighting if it must be one or the other.  I doubt the difference
will matter enough to most users, and those who do will probably prefer
5.10.

Ted