Re: p tags and indenting in Html Mode

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: p tags and indenting in Html Mode
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:16:15 +0200

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Richard Riley<rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> As an off-topic aside, is xhtml still moving forward? I thought the W3C
>>> had recently decided to ditch it in favor of html 5? Anything I've read
>>> suggests that there's no compelling reason to use xhtml for
>>> webdesign.
>>
>> I tried it and regretted a LOT of wasted time and effort. It talked a
>> good talk but failed the walk. I was somewhat surprised by some replies
>> there that seemed to suggest xhtml was the working, accepted
>> standard. It's most certainly not and a LOT of programmers have dropped
>> it. So I'm with you on that one.
>

> One of the reason to use XHTML is that it is well structured so that
> you can use completion. Maybe that would be possible for HTML too, but
> there is no completion for HTML in Emacs yet.

company-mode seems the most promising for general completion of keywords
and so forth, but does not have the smart completion for tag specific
attributes you have in nxtml I think (I never used that feature to be
honest since html tags are pretty limited anyway).

>> I use nxhtml generally, but there are issues I intend to report back to
>> Lennart. Its pretty slow
>

> Please give me an example of what you find slow. It might be a bug
> somewhere.

Generally the fontification/format display. I'll email you an example
later.

>> and there are some nasty indentation issues with
>> certain mixed files (php and x/html).
>

> I have added some support to make indentation in mixed files better,
> but it is not yet in use. It would be nice to have someone more
> helping in developing MuMaMo.

nxhtml has been my main mode for a while now - it's good.