Re: Problem with (user-full-name) Character Encoding

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Problem with (user-full-name) Character Encoding
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 01:41:40 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 18, 4:34 pm, Nordlöw <per.nord...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What variables control how (user-full-name) encodes its characters?

(user-full-name) without any arguments just returns the variable user-
full-name, which is encoded in Emacs internal encoding once set.  It
is probably initialised from your environment. which will be decoded
using locale-coding-system.

> From the shell and from within my Emacs, using (getenv), LANG has the
> correct value "sv_SE.UTF-8".

I'm not sure what has precedence, but some of the LC_* environment
variables also affect locale-coding-system, as will calling set-
language-environment from your .emacs.