Re: visually mark off 80th column?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: visually mark off 80th column?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:03:15 -0500

> In my other editors I always turn on a little line that delimits the
> 80th column. How do I do this in emacs?

While there are various Elisp packages that try to provide such
functionality, Emacs's core code doesn't really make it possible to do
that in a robust way, sadly (e.g. because it doesn't allow displaying
something where there isn't text, and because it doesn't make it
easy/possible to account for variable-sized chars).

What I use is much simpler: make your window 80-columns wide.
The main advantage is that you then don't waste screen real-estate
displaying the "extra columns" past the 80th which you shouldn't be
using any way ;-)

        Stefan