Re: Indenting text bugs.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Indenting text bugs.
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 01:26:46 +0100

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> > Isn't that a very inconvenient default? Almost every window
>> > manager across platforms intercept that to switch windows...
>
> No, they do not intercept `ESC TAB'.

But if you use a vi emulator in Emacs like Viper (which many uses)
then you can not use ESC TAB since ESC is caught by the vi emulator.

> Some, such as Windows, do, by default, intercept ALT-TAB, which maps to
> `M-TAB'
> by default (that's two "by default"s ;-)).
>
> But you need only do this to make Windows pass `M-TAB' along to Emacs:
>
> ;; (setq w32-alt-is-meta  t)
> (when (fboundp 'w32-register-hot-key)
>  (w32-register-hot-key [M-tab]))
>
> The first line is not really needed - t is the default value.
> Variable `w32-alt-is-meta' determines whether ALT maps to Meta.
>
> The other lines tell Windows to pass `M-TAB' to Emacs.
> If ALT maps to Meta, you can register [M-tab] as a hot key.
> If it does not, you can register [A-tab] as the hot key.

And this does not always work (as I have told many, many times). To
make it work correctly you need the patched version of Emacs+EmacsW32
(and then the recipe is a bit different).