newer emacs on karmic, was: Emacs 23 scrollbar behavior

From: Tom Roche
Subject: newer emacs on karmic, was: Emacs 23 scrollbar behavior
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:14:55 -0500

Not having a scrollwheel I can't speak to your main issue, but

Ingo Strüwing 12.03.2010 16:58
>> GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
>> of 2009-11-10 on crested, modified by Debian

Peter Dyballa Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:46:38 +0100
> Looks a bit old – GNU Emacs 23.2 should be out

>> This is on Ubuntu 9.10.

On my vanilla/GNOME karmic, I'm running

$ date ; aptitude search emacs* | grep -e '^i'
> Fri Mar 12 15:08:43 EST 2010
> i A emacs-snapshot                  - The GNU Emacs editor (developm
> i A emacs-snapshot-bin-common       - The GNU Emacs editor's shared,
> i A emacs-snapshot-common           - The GNU Emacs editor's common
> i   emacs-snapshot-gtk              - The GNU Emacs editor (transiti
> i A emacsen-common                  - Common facilities for all emac
$ date ; emacs --version
> Fri Mar 12 15:09:03 EST 2010
> GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1

Not much newer, but it might help to

$ sudo aptitude install emacs-snapshot-gtk

FWIW I haven't had any significant problems with it (other than those
that derive from my remaining an emacs newbie after more than a decade
of use :-)

HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>