Problem with messages

From: rasmith
Subject: Problem with messages
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:31:47 -0500 (CDT)

Since moving to emacs-23.1, I've encountered a problem with some elisp
code I use regularly.  I won't try to explain the whole context, but
in a few words, the code processes a buffer containing text in a
specialized format and then returns in that buffer.  The problem is
that it now displays the message "Mark set" in the minibuffer on
return, and that message doesn't want to go away.  For example, if I
do an isearch, "Mark set" remains in the minibuffer until (usually) I
enter the *second* character in the string, and at that point I get
the usual isearch message (string so far, etc.); then, on the third or
fourth character, it will come back, perhaps hang around for another
character or two, then disappear, etc.  Other commands that return a
message in the minibuffer such as what-cursor (C-x =) just don't
return at all ("Mark set" stays there).

Under emacs22, this same code worked with no problems.

I realize this could have many different causes, but does anyone have
a quick idea about what might be causing this?  FWIW, the code that
produces the buffer doesn't have set-mark or push-mark in it.

Thanks,

Robin Smith
Department of Philosophy           rasmith@tamu.edu
Texas A&M University               http://aristotle.tamu.edu/~rasmith/
4237 TAMU                          Voice +1 979 845 5679
College Station, TX 77843-4237     FAX +1 979 845 0458