Re: elisp: apply variable or function

From: Zhu, Shenli
Subject: Re: elisp: apply variable or function
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:05:59 +0800

On 04/11/2010 02:23 PM, Ian Eure wrote:
On Apr 10, 2010, at 11:13 PM, "Zhu, Shenli"<zhushenli2@gmail.com>  wrote:

Dear all,

I am tracing the code in gud.el(grand unified debugger) and find code snippet
below hard to understand:

(defvar gud-marker-filter nil)
(put 'gud-marker-filter 'permanent-local t)
... ...
(defun gud-marker-filter (&rest args)
  (apply gud-marker-filter args))

The local permanent variable and function have the same name "gud-marker-filter". But, why elisp engine
*apply* variable "gud-marker-filter" but not function "gud-marker-filter"(C-h f tell me
"apply function&rest arguments)?

It will apply the function referenced by the gud-marker-filter
variable. Elisp is a lisp-2, so function and variable symbols are
distinct from each other. This code may help you understand:

(let ((blah 'message))
   (defun blah (&rest args)
     (apply blah args))

   (blah "hi"))

I.e. Blah as a variable is distinct from blah as a function.

I believe that the way this is implemented internally is that blah is
one symbol which has one  cell for the value as a variable and a cell
for the value as a function. But the effect in this case is the same
as if they were separate symbols entirely.

  - Ian
Hi Ian, thank you!

Do you mean
(apply 'blah args) will call the function blah
(apply blah args) will call the function pointer in variable blah?

Regards,
Shenli