Re: Thunderbird to Emacs migration

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Thunderbird to Emacs migration
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:35 -0000

[Expanded circulation to gnu.emacs.vm.info]

VM version 8.1.0 has a couple of features in the Change Log that are relevant
to the discussion here:

    * Added syncing of message status when visiting a mbox of Thunderbird.
      Not all message flags are interchangeable and the message summary
      file (.msf) of Thunderbird will get removed by VM in order to force
      Thunderbird to rebuild it.  Also VMs folder index will be skipped if
      it is older than the folder in order to update VMs message status flags.

    * Improved text/html displaying by w3m.  Inline images are now extracted
      correctly and they also display now.  Added a generic handler code to
      support also other HTML handlers.

These were contributed by Robert Widhopf-Fenk and Katsumi Yamaoka.  8.1.0 is
currently available as a pre-release on the Launchpad development site,
https://www.launchpad.net/vm,

I myself use w3m for HTML messages regularly and think it is quite brilliant.
I don't have any experience with the interoperation with Thunderbird.  But I
was happy to hear about David's experience in switching between VM and
Thunderbird.  The compatibility features added by Robert should make it even
easier to interoperate.

Cheers,
Uday Reddy