Re: Need help installing NTemacs -- no evident README or INSTALL file

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Need help installing NTemacs -- no evident README or INSTALL file
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 23:41:53 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.3.1273159143.5381.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Lennart Borgman  <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:18 AM, David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
>> A friend wants to install ntemacs on xp, and we're
>> not sure just how to do it.
>

>I know nothing about the installer used by ntemacs, but you could try
>emacsw32. The patched version probably does everything you want. It is
>a normal installer so you can uninstall it as you do with other
>programs:
>
>  http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl
>
>PS: I am going to update the patched version rather soon, but don't
>hold your breath.

Confused as just what to download.  What I got is this huge
"installer"(?):

  c:/Downloads:
  total used in directory 6837130 available 187438764
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 David    root      31609612 05-06 19:29
Emacs-23-BzrU100220-EmacsW32-1.58.exe
  drwxrwxrwx   1 David    root             0 05-06 19:29 .

Pretty big installer.

Is this the file you (Lennart) wanted me to get?

What to do, START then RUN and give it /downloads/Emacs-23...?

----- Here's the page containing the various choices:

Download Latest
EmacsW32+Emacs binaries
and nXhtml

The binaries for Emacs and other programs here are for MS Windows. The elisp
libraries can be used on any platform where Emacs runs.

Please try to use the unpatched version of Emacs for bug reports about Emacs
itself!

There will be no unpatched binaries for released versions of Emacs here. Please
go to Emacs home page to get unpatched binaries for MS Windows.

Download latest EmacsW32+Emacs patched Emacs patched icon
    This will download an installer for EmacsW32 + Emacs. Emacs is the CVS
Emacs 23.2 version (not yet released!), checked out 20091103, and is slightly
patched. EmacsW32 is version 1.58 and includes nXhtml. Approx 29 MB.
Download latest EmacsW32+Emacs unpatched Emacs patched icon
    This will download an installer for EmacsW32 + Emacs. Emacs is the
development Emacs 23.2 version (not yet released!), checked out 2010-02-20, and
is NOT patched. EmacsW32 is version 1.58. Approx 30 MB.

    Please notice that you can not start Emacs in the last step after
installation (Finish) because this assumes that emacsclient starts Emacs
automatically and this only works in the patched version!

    Please notice also that I often do not check that the unpatched version
works ok. I upload it mostly for those who wants to test.

    Note: Emacs 23.1 was released 2009-07-30, binaries are available at
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
Download only latest Emacs unpatched as a zip file
    This will download a zip file with nothing but Emacs. Emacs is the CVS
Emacs 23.2 version (not yet released!), checked out 20010-02-20, and is NOT
patched. Approx 47 MB.
Download latest nXhtml (zip file) nXhtml: editing web files
    This will download a zip file with the latest nXhtml. This is the same
nXhtml that is included in EmacsW32+Emacs - but the version here may be newer.
nXhtml is version 2.08, zipping date is 200100425. Approx 2373 kB. Release
notes.

    Notice that you can also update (and download) nXhtml directly from the
devel sources. This is in the menus from version 2.04 of nXhtml. (If you have
an older version then you can go to nXhtml on EmacsWiki and grab the file
web-vcs.el there through the link to it in the repository.)

If you want to get the sources, please see information about sources. You can
also use the directory listing for downloading.

For more information about EmacsW32 please go to EmacsW32 home page.

If what I downloaded was the wrong thing, please edit in a "THIS ONE HERE ===>>
 "
in the above version of your page.

THANKS!

David

PS: Do I get a chance to tell it where to put the exe and dll? and
directories (lisp, etc, ...), so I don't have two .el-files conflicting.

Thanks again.