Re: buffer management in emacs

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: buffer management in emacs
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 08:29:03 -0400

despen@verizon.net writes:

    > Not if you have to move your hands from the home row and look at the
    > keyboard to type it (IMHO).

    Control isn't on the home row.

    Even using the left pinky on the control key,
    the x and b keys aren't that easy to reach.

As with the use of <Shift> in touch typing, one uses the `opposite' hand
to type the modifier:  Right hand little finger types <Ctrl>, the left
hand ring finger, `x' and index finger, `b'.  And in fact, I think I
remember being taught not to `hold' modifier keys, but type them with
each character to be modified.

Not the contortion you describe above; and as Kevin pointed out, never
leave the home row.

Want to type great?  Install Gtypist and use it as if it were a video
game.  You'll learn to paint the screen with characters, words and
sentences.

    OTOH, F9 is usually pretty easy to find, without looking,
    especially with the gap between the F8 and F9 keys.

    Using the buffer list isn't really a full speed typing thing either,
    at least not for me.

It will be when you touch type.

    I can't just leave F9 sitting there doing nothing in Emacs.