Re: New menu creation

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: New menu creation
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:47:18 +0200

supreet <supreet.prasad@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> I am very new to Emacs. I am trying to create a new menu in the menu bar.
> How do I proceed?
> I downloaded the source and I see a lot of .el files under the lisp
> directory. Do I create a new file there?

No, you can do that by placing some code into your ~/.emacs file.  No
need to modify the emacs source code.

> Please let me know if there are any links or info that I can follow.

Have a look at the documentation:

,----[ (info "(elisp)Menu Bar") ]
|      ;; Make a menu keymap (with a prompt string)
|      ;; and make it the menu bar item's definition.
|      (define-key global-map [menu-bar words]
|        (cons "Words" (make-sparse-keymap "Words")))
|
|      ;; Define specific subcommands in this menu.
|      (define-key global-map
|        [menu-bar words forward]
|        '("Forward word" . forward-word))
|      (define-key global-map
|        [menu-bar words backward]
|        '("Backward word" . backward-word))
`----

To jump to this documentation page inside emacs, put the boxquote
heading

  (info "(elisp)Menu Bar")

into emacs' *scratch* buffer and hit `C-x C-e' after the last closing
paren.

Bye,
Tassilo