emacs failure on Mac OS X: "Unknown color"

From: Toby White
Subject: emacs failure on Mac OS X: "Unknown color"
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:28:03 +0100

I've compiled Emacs-23.2 from scratch, on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), using --with-ns

Compilation/installation all proceeds fine, and I'm left as expected with Emacs.app in nextstep/

However, it won't start. Any attempt to start it - even running the executable by hand - results in the error

"Unknown color"

toby-whites-macbook-pro:MacOS tow$ ./Emacs
Unknown color
toby-whites-macbook-pro:MacOS tow$ ./Emacs --debug-init
Unknown color
toby-whites-macbook-pro:MacOS tow$ ./Emacs -Q --debug-init
Unknown color

Any ideas?

Toby