Re: insert umlaut

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: insert umlaut
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 21:43:25 -0600

Stefan Vollmar wrote:
> I am using an elisp insert statement to put text into a newly
> generated buffer, this text contains a German Umlaut. The text is
> displayed correctly in my .emacs-file, I also have a
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8) statement.

Please show us the insert statement.

When visiting ~/.emacs, what does `C-h C RET' display?

When point is before the umlaut character in the insert statement,
what does `C-u C-x =' display?

> With Emacs 23.2 (Windows) the Umlaut is not displayed correctly (in
> the newly generated buffer), with Aquamacs 2.0 it works just
> fine. With both Emacsen, the .emacs-file yields "utf-8-unix" in the
> modeline and "utf-8" for the newly created buffer.
>
> Is this a bug or is it a coincidence that this works in Aquamacs?

There are a lot of variables to account for between the 2 platforms and
the 2 Emacs versions.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA