finally getting gdb to work?

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: finally getting gdb to work?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:04:54 +0200

I don't understand what happens here, yesterday for the first time I saw
how I should be supposed to debug in emacs (with gdb).

It was great, jumping, easily set breakpoints and so on.
By default this  "gdb-many-windows" is nil and until I didn't set it to
"t" I thought that text-mode stuff was all I was getting.

After some other time and trying also out pdb then nothing works
anymore!

When I run
M-x gdb test
I don't anymore the windows set, and if I call gdb-restore-windows I
don't get a working debug environment anyway (only the windows set).
Here is my very simple conf

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
   (setq gdb-show-main nil)
   (setq gdb-many-windows t)

#+end_src

*** Some advices for pdb
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
  (defadvice pdb (before gud-query-cmdline activate)
    "Provide a better default command line when called interactively."
    (interactive
     (list (gud-query-cmdline 'pdb.py
                              (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name)))))
#+end_src

Anyone has an idea?

Ah another thing, I also have to debug some code which compiles only on
a virtual machine, which I can access via ssh.

Now I work on it via sshfs, but I would like to debug it directly.
Is there some way to automate the debugging process from another
machine (with gdbserver or tramp maybe?)?

Thanks a lot