A "smaller" dired

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: A "smaller" dired
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:27:31 +0200

I was wondering if it would be possible to make the dired buffer similar
to the speedbar.
I don't need the ecb and now my dired opens magically only the files in
"git-files" but the buffer window is always too big.

I removed the "-l" in the dired-list-switches but (as they say) then it
doesn't work anymore.

Why does it need the verbose ls to be able to address to the file after
all?
Thanks