Re: Translate-mode

From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado
Subject: Re: Translate-mode
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 12:17:15 -0300

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TextTranslator
>>
>> But I do not believe in doing the translation on each space char...
>
> I think is not exactly what I was looking for, what I would really love
> is as I said something auto-updating, not much for real translation of
> course but for experimentation.
>
> Even better would be to also have another buffer below which gives the
> dictionary definition of the word (even monolingual).
> For example I write in X my text in German, I see in y the translation
> and in z the definition of every word.
>
> Is something like that doable also?
> Any advice on what to use (a minor/major mode, how to map the keyboard
> etc...)?
>
> | x  | y |
> |--------|
> |    z   |

I guess you want an asynchronous update of the translated buffer called
on post-command-hook and checking for a space getting the thing at point
every-time to translate, if you want to use google service this is a
nice lib:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TextTranslator
about minor/major mode i think you will need both but im not a
experienced elisp programmer, minor for the buffer to be translated and
major for the translated content buffer. If i was you i would
concentrate on translation first as the definitions are not that simple
in any language except english i think.

HTH,
glauber.