Re: line-move-visual

From: Chris F.A. Johnson
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:33 -0000

On 2010-06-17, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I would be very interested if you were willing to expand on this.
>> Do you mean to say that touch typing is unhealthy in general, or just
>> more pragmatically that if it hurts when you do X, then don't do X?
>
> Just that I've known several people who suffered from RSI and several
> people who can't touch-type and the two sets are disjoint.
> A correlation between the two is expected (people who type a lot are
> more likely to know how to touch-type), but the fact that the two sets
> are actually disjoint is I think more than a coincidence.
>
> If you look at people who don't touch-type (like me), you'll see their
> hands move a lot, so their arms work more and their hands and fingers
> work less.

   The home position for a touch typist is an awkward one, and, I
   suspect, contributes significantly to wrist problems.

   I've been using a typewriter for 50 years, and for the last 30 I
   have almost lived at one, both at work and at home, but still don't
   touch type. I have had no problems with my wrists.

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com>
   Author: