Re: Long pauses when opening files and other operations with emacs 23. a

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Long pauses when opening files and other operations with emacs 23. and windows 7
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:36 -0000

On 6/17/2010 4:59 AM, Keith S. wrote:

Many other people have reported this issue, and several folks have
offered advice. For instance, setting w32-get-true-file-attributes was
certainly helpful for most of the slowdowns -- that wasn't a bug, but
a change that was documented in a very old changelog. And one that
most users, including myself, wouldn't have thought to connect with
this problem.

Right now, I think I MAY have further narrowed down the hanging
problems with opening files thanks to a clue from this blog post:
http://blog.zzamboni.org/solving-hangs-in-emacs-on-windows .

There is an excellent set of diagnostic tools for Windows called sysinternals:

  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545046.aspx

Microsoft bought the company that made these tools and distributes them for free. You can try using them to see what is going on when the hold-ups happen.

Cheers,
Uday