Tramp launched by latex or some other package (!?)

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Tramp launched by latex or some other package (!?)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:18:01 -0000

Hello,

I've just installed Ubuntu 10.4 on my laptop, and reinstalled Emacs (=sudo
aptitude install emacs=) and my Emacs config files (=.emacs=, =.bbdb= and
=.gnus=). Not much more, right now.

Weirdly enough, I now have a problem when loading my =.emacs= file. Of course,
I don't have yet all the tools reinstalled (such as =hunspell=, for example)
and such a situation could be the root of my problem.

Though, to be honest, I've got quite some problems trying to understand the
cause of my symptom, which is that Emacs stops with the following message:

Process *tramp/ssh fni@c* exited abnormally with code 255

At that point, if I go to the *Messages* buffer, I get the following details:

28 Indentation... Done
29 Commands for Human Languages...
Checking for library `outline'... Found
Checking for library `outline-magic'... Missing
Checking for library `out-xtra'... Missing
Checking for library `fold-dwim'... Found
29.9 TeX mode....AAA.AAA.AAA..............
Checking for library `filladapt'...
Checking for library `filladapt'... Found
Tramp: Opening connection for sva@c using ssh...
Tramp: Waiting 60s for local shell to come up...
Tramp: Sending command `ssh c -l sva  -q -e none && exit || exit'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
File error: Process died
ispell.el is already loaded
Starting new Ispell process [fr_FR] ...
Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

(`sva' is my login name)

The last part of it corresponds to this chunk of my =.emacs= file:

;;*** 29.9 (info "(emacs)TeX Mode")

;; - text-mode-hook     =  all text modes
;; - (la)tex-mode-hook  =  default Emacs built-in (La)TeX mode
;; - (La)TeX-mode-hook  =  AUCTeX

;; Note -- AUCTeX aliases tex-mode to TeX-mode
;; Note -- Invoking `(la)tex-mode' also runs `text-mode-hook'

;;**** 2 (info "(auctex)Installation") of AUCTeX

;; support for LaTeX documents
(GNUEmacs
  (message "29.9 TeX mode....AAA.AAA.AAA..............")
  (try-idle-require 'latex-XXX)
  (message "29.9 TeX mode....BBB.BBB.BBB..............")

But I still don't understand why Tramp is launched to a server that does not
exist (server `c').

When I arrive further (by using `idle-require', instead of `require', for the
latex package), it does the same after my system is idle for a couple of
seconds.

When trying to answer a mail (within Gnus), it systematically comes as well,
this time trying to connect to server `http'... There, I have the suspicion it
could have links with Flyspell... and would have not much to do with latex as
such...

Would you have some hints for me to find the source of the trouble?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban