Re: can emacs use the mac os x keychain?

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: can emacs use the mac os x keychain?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:21:02 -0000

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

USR> Another question that I always wondered about.  Does auth-source allow
USR> for multiple logins on the same server/protocol combination?

Not currently.  The first one found is picked IIRC.  I think it would
make the UI significantly more complex to allow multiples and perhaps
confuse users.  The advanced users that need that can typically use
aliases for the server name.  Do you see a need for it?

Yes, I think it is needed. Some people maintain multiple email accounts on ISP's like gmail, hotmail etc. In organizations, it is common for people to have a personal email account and, separately, one or more role-based or team email accounts (techsupport, sales, admissions, ...). I know that many novice users might find it hard to deal with it. But, gmail and hotmail are educating them fast. So, yes, restricting to single email accounts per server would be a serious limitation.

I am not sure what you mean by UI getting complex. The only user interaction seems to be to ask for a passphrase. (There is a problem at the moment because it doesn't say passphrase for which auth-source. So, if somebody happens to use multiple auth-sources with different passphrases, they would be in trouble!)

If you instead mean the API getting complex, one could call auth-source-user-or-password with '("login" "password") as the MODE and get back a list of results. A simple `assoc' would give the desired password.

Cheers,
Uday