Re: Yank from system clipboard?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: Yank from system clipboard?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:23:13 -0000

On Aug 5, 3:00 pm, Marc Mientki <mien...@nonet.com> wrote:
> I have probably not understand the task. What you want to do? Mark
> something outside of Emacs, copy (CTRL-C) and yank (paste) it in
> Emacs buffer? But what means "non-interactively yank".

I want to select text outside of Emacs and then, by means of Emacs
client, I want to tell Emacs to grab it and insert it into a buffer.
Since it's throw-away text, I don't want to mess with files, so I have
thought the clipboard would do. However, selected text could also be
empty, that is, the clipboard will be empty. And here I'm stuck,
because whenever the clipboard is empty, (clipboard-yank) yanks the
last kill. (current-kill 0) does not change this (at least here: Emacs
23.1.1 + Windows XP).

Wait! I've thought about a workaround: telling Emacs beforehand
whether the clipboard is empty or not.

However, I'm still curious about why Emacs doesn't allow me to access
the system clipboard directly.

Thanks for your attention.